Pesticides can have both lethal and sublethal impacts on managed and wild pollinators. Pollinators can be exposed to pesticides by walking or flying in sprayed areas, or consuming contaminated food or water. In honey bee hives, foragers returning to the hive with contaminated food and water can expose the queen, the brood and younger workers. Pesticides can become “concentrated” in the hive’s wax, stored pollen and nectar, and in the bodies of adults and brood. There are several practices that the beekeepers and spray applicator can do, to protect pollinators. This page contains resources for beekeepers, farmers, and spray applicators to use to help ensure the health of local honey bees and other pollinators.
BMPS for foliar application