2022 Miticide Resistance Program
Registration NOW OPEN!
Alberta’s Tech Transfer Program (TTP) and the Government of Alberta’s Bee Health Assurance Team (BHAT) will be proactively working to assess Apivar efficacy across Alberta. Our goal is to randomly screen Varroa mite populations from across the province before treatments are applied in the fall.
How it works
- Register for the program using the form below.
- We will then contact you to schedule a sampling time.
- We require a minimum infestation level of 3% (9 mites per 300 bees). We ask that you sample your colonies and identify those with high mite levels prior to us coming out.
- One of our technicians will come to your operation and collect live bee samples from a maximum of 2 apiaries and 4 colonies per apiary. On the day of sampling, we will take another sample for an alcohol wash to confirm the infestation level. We will then take live bee samples (approx. 4.5 cups of bees per colony).
- The live bee sample will be brought back to our lab for testing.
- You can expect results within 1-3 weeks after collection.